What is Skin Brachytherapy?
Electronic surface brachytherapy, or skin brachytherapy, is a form of radiotherapy that is an option for treating non – melanoma skin cancers. Electronic surface brachytherapy uses a portable machine that physicians apply through an applicator placed directly on the skin. The procedure is a painless, non-invasive alternative for those not able or willing to undergo surgical excision.
HDR electronic brachytherapy for carefully selected skin cancers is an excellent treatment option and requires a multi-disciplinary approach between the dermatologists and radiation oncology team.
Quick Facts About Skin Cancer
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer worldwide
- There are more cases of skin cancers than all other cancers combined
- Skin cancer procedures are growing at an estimated 4-6% per year
- Treatment options include Electrodessication & Curretage, wide excision, cryotherapy, photogynamic therapy, tropical creams and radiation therapy
Treating Skin Cancer with Brachytherapy
Physicians apply a portable machine through an applicator placed directly on the skin. Each treatment takes from 3-6 minutes. Typically, treatment requires a total of 8 fractions per lesion administered twice weekly, at 6 minutes per lesion. Since the procedure is non-surgical, it requires much less treatment time than traditional radiotherapy.
- The procedure is a painless, non-invasive treatment option
- Excellent cosmetic results, particularly in difficult locations such as the eyes, nose, ears, scalp and joints
- A shorter course of treatment that allows for immediate return to normal, daily activity